I was invited to try a holistic facial at the brand new Kosha Spa in Toluca Lake opened by Anastasia in September 2017 and I happened to be in California so of course I was more than excited to experience one for the first time. More than just a regular facial, a holistic one takes your entire body’s well-being into account according to Anastasia. Rather than just treating skin concerns with products, she’ll try and understand your lifestyle to see what ways you can improve your skin through adjusting your daily habits. A holistic facial also incorporates various alternative therapies like sound healing, aromatherapy and Chinese pressure points (more…)
My skin really takes a hit after a 15 hour flight and there’s almost no avoiding it. I almost always suffer from breakouts and dull skin for several days while having to adjust my biological clock. A post-flight facial really helps but I can’t always afford it. I try to do my best to keep my skin clean and hydrated on these flights where the air is literally drier than the Sahara desert.
Here’s my typical in-flight routine:
- Makeup remover wipe: this cleanses my skin of airport grossness, sweat from running to catch flights and bacteria in general. Currently I’m using Derma E’s face wipes. Some other ones I enjoy are: Acure & Kaia Naturals
- Face Mist: Currently I’m using Earthwise Beauty Cistus & Moonlight (affiliate code OBL saves)
- Face Serum: Currently I’m using a variety of serums and like to layer them for ultimate hydration. Your best serum is going to be more effective than your best moisturizer any day. These days I’m using Luzern Labs Firming Collagen Booster & OSEA’s Hyaluronic Sea Serum.
- Face Mask: I usually try to avoid sheet masks if I’m on a full flight so I don’t freak out the person sitting next to me. During shoulder season I have entire rows to myself so I don’t feel self-conscious using them. Currently I’m enjoying Orgaid’s Organic Sheet Masks. Otherwise I’ll use a less conspicuous hydrating mask like Odacités Deep Hydration Mask or Kypris’ Glow Philtre.
- Remove mask and apply Face Moisturizer & Oil: The sheet mask only lasts about half an hour so once I remove that I apply a face moisturizer and then an oil. This will keep my face hydrated throughout the flight. I always sleep as much as possible during a long haul flight to prevent exhaustion and recover quickly.
- SPF at the end of the flight: When the flight is about to land the stewardess forces you to lift up your window and the UV rays are super strong at this kind of altitude so I make sure to apply a good amount of SPF when I wake up. By the end of the flight there’s only slight residue left from my skincare routine and I don’t remove it. Currently I’m using Coola’s Tinted BB Cream SPF 30 and Sport SPF 50 Face sunscreen. I also love the Earthwise Beauty Farizad’s Veil and it doesn’t count as a liquid on carry-ons which is a plus.
A few other steps I take to ensure my skin doesn’t go berserk:
- After going through the security check and before boarding I always try to buy 1 or 2 water bottles if I’m not rushing to make my connection.
- I am extra careful not to touch my face
- Natural hand sanitizer (currently using Olika’s hand sanitizer)
SIBU is a line of skincare & supplement products featuring Himalayan Sea Buckthorn Berries as its star ingredient. According to SIBU, this berry has 90 bioactive compounds, contains an unsurpassed source of Omegas 3, 6, and 9, and is the world’s richest source of the elusive essential fatty acid, Omega-7, a fatty acid vital to collagen production and healthy skin, hair and nails. Traditionally Sea buckthorn berry is used for:
If you’re curious about what my favorites are out of the products I’ve tried over the past few years this post is for you! These are what we would say in French my “coups de coeur”, which literally means a blow to the heart in English. If you’d like to learn more about these products I’ve reviewed a good majority of them in previous blog posts – simply keyword search in the search box at the top of your screen. I’ve tried to stick to one top pick for each product type but sometimes chose 2 max 3 if they are equally my top faves. This is a very personal list of the products I have resonated most with, not just in terms of how well they work for my own particular skin or hair but how they make me feel through their texture, scent, packaging, design, brand image etc.
FAVORITE OIL CLEANSER: Whamisa Organic Fowers Oil Cleanser – cleansing oils are straightforward, I mean you can technically put olive oil on your face and it becomes a cleansing oil. But you will not have smelled anything like this oil cleanser before.
FAVORITE MILK CLEANSER: OSEA Cleansing Milk
FAVORITE FACE WASH: Earthwise Beauty Marshmallow Suds & Sally B Skin Yummies Tamanu Luxury Facial cleanser (95% Organic) – I have loved the texture and scent of these 2 the most
FAVORITE TONER: Whamisa Organic Flowers Deep Rich Toner – this is like an essence and toner in one and it provides the best hydration.
FAVORITE MIST: Annmarie Gianni Neroli Mist – mists are pretty straightforward, this one goes beyond its function as a mist and helps to improve my mood because I love its particular neroli scent so much.
FAVORITE MOISTURIZER: Odacité Oleosomes Time Delivery Release Creme & Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer – I love the texture, ingredients and packaging of these 2 moisturizers the most though I have tried many a superb moisturizer.
FAVORITE FACE OIL: Max and Me Oils Enchanted & Earthwise Beauty Ferns & Moss & Earthwise Beauty Ruby– I know all the oils I use are working hard to improve my skin but I really see and notice the difference when I use these.
FAVORITE ANTI-AGING (for those who need serious skin treatment type skincare or have mature skin): Marie Veronique’s line & Fitglow Beauty’s Vita-Active line (fyi these are pricey lines)
FAVORITE MUD MASK: May Lindstrom The Honey Mud – I haven’t encountered a more luxurious mud mask than this and it ALMOST takes away my chocolate cravings
FAVORITE VITAMIN C PRODUCT: Sally B Skin Yummies Antioxidant Boost – it works to brighten and even my skin tone, it`s over 65% ascorbic acid and it’s affordable
FAVORITE POWDER EXFOLIATOR: French Girl Organics Face Polish – Rose petals are the first ingredient and that’s why it’s my favorite although there are obviously tons of effective powder exfoliators with cool star ingredients out there.
FAVORITE BRIGHTENING MASK: Laurel Organics Brighten Mask – this mask has never once NOT brightened my skin like crazy
FAVORITE HYDRATING MASK: Odacité Deep Hydration Mask – it literally transforms the texture of my skin when used overnight as a sleeping mask.
FAVORITE ANTI-ACNE MASK: Earthwise Beauty Frightening Green Anti-Acne Mask
FAVORITE HAIR OIL: Prim Botanicals Hair Oil – hair oils are pretty straightforward but this one has a scent I fell hard for.
FAVORITE HAIR SERUM/HEAT PROTECTANT: EvolvH WonderBalm. The texture is unbelievable and works better than Shu Uemura and a bunch of other high end hair serums I have bought in the past. If I apply about 6 pumps into damp hair and let it dry my hair dries much smoother and with less frizz without even being weighed down.
FAVORITE SHAMPOO: Evolvh UltraShine Shampoo. I love the scent of this shampoo, the texture when I squeeze the product on my hands, the way it lathers.
FAVORITE CONDITIONER: John Masters Organics Lavender and Avocado Intensive Conditioner. I feel like my hair likes this formula the most and I see a more noticeable difference when using this one.
FAVORITE LIP BALM: Cocokind MyMatcha Stick – I love that it is simple, jumbo, has matcha, the packaging is black, it is super moisturizing and smells of coconut.
FAVORITE FOUNDATION: Fitglow Beauty Vita Active Foundation and for full coverage NU EVOLUTION
FAVORITE BLUSH: there’s a lot of blushes I enjoy but none that I am completely in love with so I have to leave this blank
FAVORITE EYESHADOW: NU EVOLUTION – best pigmentation, velvety finish and longest lasting
FAVORITE LIPSTICK: Vapour Beauty Siren Lipstick – I’m personally not a fan of lispticks (I’m a lip gloss girl all the way) because they make me look older but my favorite formula is the Vapour Beauty’s lip siren because it’s the creamiest that doesn’t seem to accentuate my lip lines (note the dark shades are not as god)
FAVORITE LIP GLOSS: Fitglow Beauty Lip Serum in Bliss – a targeted lip treatment and lip gloss in one that actually plumps my lips. Bliss is also the prettiest color that looks the best on me
FAVORITE MASCARA: Fitglow Beauty Good Lash though with the new formulation/brush I cannot say anymore
FAVORITE BB CREAM: COOLA Mineral Face SPF 30 Matte Tint – I use serum/moisturizer/few drops of oil as my morning skincare and a lot of BB creams leave me looking a little too greasy. This matte one helps me avoid that plus it goes on so velvety smooth and i don’t need to layer sunscreen after my moisturizer.
CODES TO HELP YOU SAVE
SIBU BEAUTY: ORGANICBEAUTY30
Aleavia Skincare: ORGANICBEAUTYLOVER
NU Evolution (affiliate): ORGANICBEAUTYLOVER
Earthwise Beauty (affiliate): OBL